Pictures for everyone!
I’ve just uploaded some pictures to the ftp site, so please take a look. Its taken quite some time to get them posted as the internet connection in Tsumkwe is a whopping 9 kbps. I know, SUPER fast. However, this is quick enough for me to post to the blog…but way too slow for Hotmail. I’m hoping to upgrade our service to 56 kbps, but this may take some time.
Ok, so who’s interested in a day in the life of Jason Moodie? Here’s goes...
I normally wake up each morning just before 6 a.m. and boil some water for morning tea. While the water is boiling I shave, have a quick shower and make my bed. My bed was just a mattress, but I’ve recently moved a proper bed into my room. I was using the bed as a couch, but will be buying some furniture this weekend. I digress. The water has boiled by now (providing I have power) and I have my breakfast and watch the sunrise through my kitchen window. I then brush my teeth and make my way to school for 6:40 a.m. for our morning staff meeting. I’m usually not done my tea by then and bring the mug with me.
After our staff meeting, the national anthem and morning prayer I make go to the computer lab. The school currently has 14 working computers, but most of them are older PII 266s. Right now I’m limited to using 10 computers, as any more will blow the fuse. I have a few classes per day and spend the rest of my time writing the curriculum for Computer Studies Grade 8-10. This course will be offered next year and I’m putting together the documentation for my successor. All of the students are quite keen to use the computers and many of them skip other classes to be in the lab.
The school day ends at 1:00 p.m. and resumes at 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. for study time. I normally grab a cold drink and some bread from the store for lunch. For lunch I either make a sandwich or eat leftovers from the night before. My favourite day is when the store has raisin bread. It’s the absolute best and I’ll eat half a loaf with butter for lunch. After eating I usually read my book or go for a little walk. The other day I went for walk to Rasta’s who grows fruits and veggies just outside of town. I heard he had some strawberries and wanted to see what else he had. He wasn’t around, but one of the boys who work’s there climbed a tree and brought me this huge yellow thing. I bought it and some strawberries for $14 NAM ($2 CDN). Later I found out it was a papaya and it was amazing!
After work I normally watch soccer at the school and make dinner at home. If other volunteers are in town we sometimes have dinner and its interesting to see what others are doing. Then it’s off to bed by 10:00 p.m. and another day begins…

2 Comments:
awesome pictures jason. even the classic bathroom mirror shot. lol. sounds like you're adjusting quite well!
6:29 a.m.
A1-Most people play soccer in their bare feet and are about the same size as Peter. The field is sand, but also contain a large amount of glass. Safe.
A2-While in Africa I'm working on a "wicked" side part. Hence the bathroom shot, what do you think?
A3-My shoes are being sent and I will being marathon training, but will be racing an Afrikaaner to the Botswana border (about 50 km). No joke, he told me he could cover 40 km in a day, I told I've done it in 3:38.
A4-ET is well and I hope to have some pics with him and elephants soon.
A5-Only 8 new piercings!
12:01 a.m.
Post a Comment
<< Home