This blog was set up for my trip to Namibia with VSO.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Snippets from Tsumkwe

Here's a few snippets from daily life from my time in Africa.

- "What is that?" says Mr Nashipili. I reply that its called an iTrip and I can broadcast songs to any radio station in your truck. "In Africa, we call that witchcraft!" he replies.

- I was sitting at Trine and Anders' place yesterday and the thermometer read...40C...in...the...SHADE. Sweating isn't possible as it evaporates right away...welcome to the Kalahari.

- Horseback ridding through the Kalahari is the perfect way to get that ripped and used jean effect. Luckily there's an abundance of thorn trees and horses like to brush me against them. Anyone want me to weather some fashionable jeans for them? All it will cost you is postage! Speaking of which, I went horseback riding the other day with Arno and Sone...and we saw 11 elephants. It was pretty cool and we got quite close!!!

- I'm asked by some locals near Oshakati "Are you Ruud Van Nistlerooy from Man U?". "No" I reply. "Are you sure? You look exactly like him" I'm asked again. "Pretty sure I'm not him. I wasn't born in Holland and I'm not very good at soccer" I reply. "No, you are him! Or maybe just his brother. Are you his brother? Can I get a picture with you?" they ask. "But I'm not him." I contest. "Why don't you come play with my team this Sunday!". It was quite funny as no matter what I said they wouldn't believe that I wasn't him!

- "This isn't a school for hunters, hah!" Mrs. C tells the students at assembly. As it turns out some boys had been hunting birds with catapults (sling shots) earlier in the week and killed a bird. Unfortunately it landed on the roof of the school and they got caught climbing up to get it. They told the principal they were hungry and wanted to take it home to cook.

- During one of my labs with the teachers Mr. Kalonda stands up and yells "I'm the best, hah! Look at my score, I beat you all!". He just got 100% on one level of Typing Tutor, but it sounded like he's just won a gold medal.

- I finally made the tough decision to cut my hair the other day. It was way too hot and I was getting sick of wiping sweaty hair out of my face. So I had one of the police officers in town shave my head...feels so good! However, it was a little creepy as all the hair clippings mysteriously disappeared from out outside bin overnight. I'm not looking forward to seeing someone wearing my hair!!

Hope you enjoyed these! The last day of school is November 11th, then exams begin. I'll be in Grootfontein November 17-18 for an educational conference, then back in Tsumkwe. World AIDS Day will be held in Tsumkwe this year and I'm working with the activities committee. Its a day worth of festivities, with a sports tournament being held the weekend before. Should be interesting as most high ranking government officials will be visiting! After that my placement finishes and I'll be travelling until early February. That's the excitement in my life!
Jason

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home