End of days
As my time is Tsumkwe slowly comes to an end I can't help but think of the things I will miss...and the things I'll be happy to leave behind. Both have made my experience what it is.
I'll definitely miss horseback rides at the lodge. I usually went riding with Sone (and sometimes Arno as well) a few times a week. It was always a hot sweaty walk down to the lodge after a not always pleasant day at school. But all would be forgotten as we'd spend a few hours crashing through the bush and occasionally seeing some elephants or other game. The abundant thorn trees also help give me jeans those perfect runway rips and wear.
I won't miss being the cooler at school. The cooler in that I had to regularly break up fights between learners because no teachers were around...or they were hiding in the staff room. Although I did hone my reflexes dodging softball sized rocks tossed back and forth. Luckily I was never hurt, but I didn't make any friends by calling some teachers cowards for not intervening. You win some, you lose some.
I'll definitely miss children singing. The learners at school all have amazing voices and I can hear them rehearsing songs for World AIDS Day. The harmony...and well everything is amazing. I was lucky enough to hear these voice each morning to sing the national anthem or other Christian songs.
I'll definitely miss the smell of wood smoke. The sweet smell of wood smoke is always in the air in Tsumkwe. In villages most people still use wood as the primary source of fuel for cooking and keep warm. The wood here has a very different smell from home and is always around like a think fog.
I'll definitely not miss the chaos of organizing my visa extension through Namibian Home Affairs. I've spent the better part of 2 days there and have had 4 different answers to the same question "How can I extend for 7 days?". Luckily I was finally able to speak to a higher official and was narrowly able to keep my cool. I told them it was ridiculous that I had this hassle when I've given up my time to volunteer in Namibia. She then wanted to sent me back down to wait in the long lines again. I told her I didn't want to hear a 5 answer and she finally relented. So, I need to go in at 2 p.m. today and will hopefully get my extension. If not look for me on Namibia most wanted. Duh, duh, duh.
Next steps...this weekend I'll be going to Swakopmund with Brendan and will be leaving Wednesday (December 14th) with Michael, Kate S, Peter, Ben and Kate M to spend Christmas in Mozambique. We'll be staying at a place called Zombie Cucumber and I intend to spend most days on the beach, sailing on dhows or fishing. Can't wait.
After the holidays I'll be going North to Malawi - Tanzania - Zambia - Zimbabwe - Namibia. I'm super excited to see lake Malawi and will be taking a day long ferry to Tanzania. After that we'll be catching the Tanzara train to Dar es Salaam and spending some time on the island of Zanzibar. My return to Zambia will again be aboard the Tanzara train, which will take 3 days and cross game reserves. I'm told the 1st class cabins cost $25 USD and will become Ernest Hemmingway as I don my safari gear and drink gin-tonics. After that I'll be going to Victoria Falls and crossing back into Namibia via Katima Mulilo. Am super excited and hope to write as much as possible on my trip!
Take care,Jason
BTW, my email account will be changing back to my old jason_moodie@hotmail.com account. So please update your contacts!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home